Have you ever "really" thought about Music? I have many times. So many I could probably write a book.
Was born in 1936... so my favorite & best year of music were the '40's, '50's when I really was growing up and "shared" the loves my parents & aunts & uncles had..and of course Elvis which was going to bring us to ruin. The movies called "Musicals" with singing & dancing of all kinds were a favorite. Why we even had cowboy movies with 2 different singers. Gene Autry & Roy Rogers & wife Dale Evans... ya can google'em no doubt. haha But I digress.. Mom played a Balalika, dad sang & was invited to sing with a band, and oh could he whistle.. I sang by ear & phonetically as a kid in Orthodox Church. Bud & I sang in school choirs, one of our children plays piano, was trained classically & gave her teacher fits, trying to get rid of that country twang in her. So you see...Music has been & is very important!
Music, is it worldly or Christian? that too is another question...
There are 88 notes/keys on a piano. And it is amazing that ALL music from the beginning has worked from them. They have been arranged in sooo many ways and not the same way twice. Genius! So how the arrangement is and the "beat" is makes it soothing, challenging, encouraging, an adventure, can put some zip in your step, etc. NOW THEN, After someone writes the Music, they OR someone else puts Words to the Music. Therein to me lies the difference in whether I call it worldly or Christian. THE WORDS!
To me worldly words just sing about anything.. good, bad, impure, some pure, vulgar, and a wide variety anymore. Back in the day many 'worldly' songs spoke to us of love, purity, patriotism, and some used Bible stories, or characters too, to express the story they wanted to tell.. yeah really! especially during the war years in the '40's.
To me Christian music is more mellow, and speaks of our love of the Lord as we worship & who He is, what He has done, will do, and how He has made a difference in someones life OR How He wants to make a difference, in mine.
The hymns tell a lot, there are songs on worship, family, salvation, baptism, holiness, God's provision, encouragement, the family of God, Fellowship, Praise, Eternal life, peace, Servanthood, Giving, Tithing, our mission, marching orders, You NAME any Subject or part of life the Hymns have something to share with us. AMAZING isn't it?
..... Sing unto me a New song....The Lord says.. got so many & never sung them all yet... The creator God lives in us & we can create too.
In each generation OR culture OR time frame... there have been wide varieties of music, & given Labels.. Classical, Opera, Chants, Hymns, Jazz, Swing, Rock & Roll, Country, Bluegrass, Contemporary, Hip Hop, the Choir the Praise Team etc. etc.
Sooo that brings me to another question...what is your favorite?? Preference? Certainly we each have a preference, and we just might be stuck in that and not well rounded or have an appreciative of others preferences. Ya think?
In school "back in the day" haha we had Music & music appreciation. We learned to read & sing notes, well most of us did. My family loved the '40's stuff & I LEARNED to like it, in my Orthodox church we sang with NO musical instruments.. so special if you've never heard it. Then I came up in the '50's and most of you know that music, and I went to all the Movie Musical's.. My step mom was a fan of Opera & Piano music, I learned to love that.
Then I met this fella from another world!! A country boy, sheesh! and Bluegrass, as I would listen in now and then I came to like it.. Country that is and the fella.
Then I became a Christian & went to a Baptist Church and loved their hymns. They really spoke to me about ALL of life in the church and living it, and being a Christian.
So for me preferance in order... Hymns, classical, and country & gospel.... I've been Converted MANY times.. and yet there is still some music I really don't get or even like,. But because my husband does, family does, friends do I can appreciate a bit of what touches them.
.... In the end that is what Music is All about, It touches us in many ways, and each in their own way and a little bit of anything is not going to hurt me.. if it is in good taste, not too loud, and has much to say to me.
I don't want to be malnourished, by 'eating' just one type of food, I desire to be well fed by experiencing more than just my favorite type of music. Let God speak, in what ever way to someones else's need & mine. May everyone worship according to the dictates of their heart, and be pleasing unto the Lord. After all HE is the audience.. we are merely the players, and I wonder if He was pleased by my worship/or not, by what He hears & sees as he chose to come to my church OR will he move on. For me as I think On Music, I always revert back to Church/Christian things.. from Orthodox to Baptist. :-)
..... ya see my Family.. Earthly & Heavenly, are made up of a variety of people... Russian, English, Cherokee, Northern, Southern, and no doubt much I don't know about..Life does not revolve around me, I just want to be considered as I consider others in a CHRISTlike Manner where ever I may be.. on many subjects..
.... Give & It shall be given unto you.. pressed down, shaken together, & running over....for it is in giving we receive... What do you want? Give that to someone else, and it will surely be given unto you. :-)
Sorry so long but MUSIC is & has been a very important part of my life always...
No comments:
Post a Comment