As mom would say.. "What does the Book Say?" meaning our bibles...
Now every lesson in our new Sunday school literature starts with...
"What does the Bible Say?" we are getting a kick out of that, since that is one of our class motto's.
Well Pastor was in Matthew 5 where it says to Christians You *are* the Salt of the earth.. You *are* the Light of the world... That is our purpose for being left here... hmmmm
And yes I was challenged anew... and my mind got to wandering.. But that's not anything new is it?
ALL week long as I was picking thru the many 'saved' notes to share on Facebook, one on *Salty Christians* kept popping up... Is that amazing or what??
What are Salty Christians?
Pastor reminded us that Salt... is used as a preservative.. flavoring.. and in Jesus day quite possibly as a currency.
For added thought, my old notes went this way. *Salty Christians* are to
- Let our speech always be with grace and seasoned with salt. Col. 4:6 What is my speech like? with anyone? do I have flavor? do I lift up? are my words kind to all? am I giving grace?
- yes, Christians are to be the Salt of the earth. Matt.5:13
- Salt enhances flavor.. Job 6:6 Do we 'add' good stuff to the pot I live in, work in? or am I just bland?
- Salt indicates purity in speech Col. 4:6 Are my words, discussions, insinuations, without a hint of evil or degrading? What's in my vocabulary that might not be pure, or of good for others? hmm
- Salt symbolizes keeping a promise Num. 18:19 Am I as good as my word? Do I keep my word?
- Salt speaks of goodness. Mark 9:50
- Salt preserves.. what am I preserving? Unity in life, or am I ruining/tearing apart something, am I a part of the problem or a part of a solution
- Salt sure makes us thirsty... as salt what am I making people thirsty for? things of God or things of this world?
- Salt has healing power. We gargle with salt, etc. As salt what am I helping to heal?
So guess I'll start in my little corner of the world.... Our Ladies ministry is called L.I.G.H.T. how interesting right?
Ladies Intentionally Going Helping Teaching/Touching people.
Do I intentionally turn on the light, to help heal, to teach, to touch with love, where ever I might be or go?
And *the book says* WE are the light of the world... how is my light shining? Bright or just a flicker? What am I to be light about or whatever?
What am I 'glowing' about? Is it Jesus? Or football, or a new recipe, just what makes me glow?
Now I do know that my little light can at times *seem* pretty dim... but even a little light will show me the way down the hall to the bathroom at night. So if there is my little light, in the world, and your little light in the world, and their little light in the world... it might just become a real beacon!!!
We are told WE are the Light of the World!
We must also be careful on how we turn the light on... so that we do not take any of God's glory...Turn the Light on to Jesus not ourselves!
I seem to have sort of forgotten a powerful little book I read years ago.. Unequally Yoked Wives. Must take some time to recall all that.. and IF you are lucky I will find some *notes* somewhere for another time. The gist of it was that Because Of Jesus he is helping the mate to change, and then they were turning the light back onto Jesus so that person had to deal with Jesus and their blessings because of Jesus.
But Light shows the way... where is our light directing people?
SunLight brightens our day...brings energy to life, some folks get excited about it! Feel better, and accomplish much.
Light from an oil lamp can be warming. When our power goes out in the winter, we get light & a bit of heat from them. Double good.
Light has a happy connotation.. "You light up my life!" Do we light up peoples lives and get them to wondering where does all that come from?
Light can show me where the road may be washed out at night. Keep me from a wreck!
Light can also show us where the dirt is that needs to be cleaned up.
We must be careful with the light, so as not to blind them, but to help them to see.
Our demeanor, lifestyles, speech and responses to life can be a Light also.
Does my walk match my talk so that I can be a trusted Salty Old Light?
My what a day of thought for the Meandering Mind, and I'm sure you might add many good illustrations of your own... Remember the Holy Spirit is with us, and will aide us as we have prayed up our day to be...
SALT & LIGHT
Let your Light SHINE and be a bit Salty! You never know just who might be in need as you pass their way... Maybe I'll pass their way tomorrow... :-)
Help them to thirst for Jesus and Light their way to Him... our purpose!
The answer for this life and the life to come.
God Bless & have a great day in the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment