It's September which makes me think of my dad.. long gone... and yet! Still miss him and our good time together was 'much tooo short!' But it was good!! after all our years... and the things I learned in the short time, and there are "no regrets."
His birthday is on Sept. 26, and we have many others in Sept. also. 3 great granddaughters!
Then I hear that Christmas is just around the corner... whew!
I dwell on one holiday at a time as in days of yore! :-) Then, when each is done, we look forward to the next and are sure not burned out when it gets here.
Sooo much to be Thankful for in my life! So Much!!
So I'll look forward to Thanksgiving and dwell on what we have to be thankful for and that is much!
Then at Christmas we shall dwell on "the Reason for the Season" Jesus!
For gifts we play the game of buy one, put it in a pile & draw a number.. for our giving / choosing gifts for adults, if no one steals it in the end it is yours! We do get a little something for the little ones. Sure simplifies life!
But with this enlarging family we may just have to do 2 Christmases.... hmmm
I remember the last Christmas gift that I got after mom died... Now you are NOT going to believe this... but.....
it was twin baby dolls with stroller!!! YUP!!
And now we have beautiful twin girls AND a set of handsome twin boys... Did she have a vision?? And those were my last dolls, by the way. They were really cute!
I loved my dad, but after mom died he mourned a long time and I think even after he remarried... holidays were not very good at all! *to say the least* with the 2 of them.
But I knew he loved us (my brother Wayne & I) and did the best he could with what he learned, and he too had a rough life..
Gifts were minimal and yet all I ever really wanted was his presence, rather than presents. I wanted to visit & get acquainted, and learn about his life.. before what I could remember.. and just 'what made him tick' (what I would give for some more time with dad.. or Mom & Dad Gulley)
"Thanks for some Memories tho!"
Then I remember my heavenly Father. Who gave His Son, carrying the gift of eternal life, and realize that, truly Christmas is not about a lot of things!
(we have more than we really *need*.. and are stuffed to overflowing if the truth be known)
The thing I enjoy most *and* all year long is the gift of your "presence." A hold over from my youth? Maybe, but I think that is the 'main thing' in life. Being together, be it humanly or spiritually.
God desires our presence & time with him too.
Isn't there a saying about keeping Christmas going all year long? I think it is more about giving of yourself than any things, and sweet attitudes towards all, well in my *meandering mind* anyway!
And a hug will do along with some chatter!
Everyone is different, and that's OK, but going in debt just to give gifts is not a good thing in my mind. The stores may love that, but I wonder if my heavenly Father does, when he says to "owe no man any thing but to love one another: for he that loveth one another hath fulfilled the law." Romans 13:8 or in another version..
"Pay your debts except the debt of love for others-- never finish paying that! For if you love them, you will be obeying all of God's laws, fulfilling all his requirements."
My translation... "Spend time together & KISS it - keep it simple stupid."
"Getting to know you, getting to know all about you.. getting to like you, hoping you like me...." wish I could remember ALL the words to the song.. :-)
We can muck up the simplest things can't we?? What do you think dear Blog?
No comments:
Post a Comment