Friday, August 23, 2013

Small... Little... Wee... NOT!

   Do you ever consider the meaning of words? Last Sunday in our Sunday school class we did and I myself often do. Unusual words get me heading to the dictionary. Simple words get me looking for *more* in them.

This morning when I began to think about, remember a few people, the first thing that came to mind was "little"/"small." BUT...

Yes, Floye Keelen was a man of *small* stature, and so was Alice Gulley  (Mom/Grandma/great Grandma)
But neither were "little" in any way or any thing. You had to know them, or sense the vibes they gave off. Strong people.


They both were encouragements to me in oh so many ways...
They had a vibrant.. *BIG* relationship & love of their Lord... and it spilled over & onto all of us.

I look over to where Floye sat in church on each Sunday, and I feel like he's left his presence there, to encourage me. The things he was BIG in/about & beyond most of us...
Loved the Lord above all else.
Trusted in & Loved God's Word the Bible.
Loved his family deep & wide
Loved his church family...

Faithful.. oh so faithful in attendance at church, prayer meeting, business meeting, and deaconing, and ushering, visiting in homes and at hospitals. Believed in Prayer.. and prayed at the drop of a hat. I know, I was around him and beneficiary of some of those sweet, short, sincere prayers. And one time in particular when I was in my greatest need. yup! Even those times when you felt he disagreed with you, he was never disagreeable or raised his voice. He just stated a fact, *something to think about* and continued on. Thank you for your faithfulness and love extended to all continually... and what an inspiration to us all. A big big man! A mighty man of God I think.

Then there's Mom... Simple, small, yet wise beyond her book *learning* and big and strong in faith & trust in God!
She, I believe would have given her life for any one of us!
Loved the Lord with all she had! Herself, her time, her finances, obedient to the word.

Wise from devouring her Bible each day. Loved studying it and the fact that it never got old and was new over & over again.. was exciting to her. Love to talk Bible.
She would never compromise the truth of the word of God, even for those she loved much.
And she too, was faithful in life, marriage (64 years) faithful in church attendance etc., for as long as her health held out. 

I know that is what she missed the most... gathering together with the family of God. To hear the word expounded upon, and the songs of worship & praise & conviction, to slip people something in a handshake,  BUT..

Her heart & home was open to all...at times I believe we held *church* here, and I believe God brought her here for us and all those that went in the ditch on our corner to be touched! :-) (More stories in the wings)
She was another believer in prayer, and had her prayer names in a small book. Is your name in Alice's prayer book? Better yet, is it in God's book? She kept praying for people to come to know Jesus & turn their lives over to HIM... even the stranger. As far as she knew.. everyone was destined to hell till she found out different. Ya think? She prayed for the preacher, the people of her church, or in the news... whoever had a need or just needed a lift..
She loved the Bible and reading it. And you must read it with feeling and get the meaning. "Don't just read words!"
She was a woman of vision... giving to things she would never be a part of, *because* in the future her grandchildren might use it, take part in it, etc. and if not them, then someone else. Highland Lakes for instance.

She was a woman of discernment. She could tell when something was NOT right, either spiritually, or relationally. Would pick up on things pretty quick! Sensitive. Oh the things she picked up on and shared about people, 'before' it was obvious. whew!
She lovingly told ya... That's wrong or That's good. No two ways about it.. :-)
She shared her knowledge, wisdom and goods with all.
Her greatest desire?? That everyone she loved and the stranger alike.. come to Jesus.
How many times I would hear her ask, why won't they just humble themselves and repent? (Turn to a new way of life in Jesus)

She too, wanted to know what the Word meant, and unashamed to ask for help in understanding.  And as far as advice giving even when asked... her constant answer to me was... "What does the Book Say?"  I could tell you wrong. (yeah, really?)
A big woman of God... and He was #1 to her.


There are many other things I could share but I think this gives you an idea of Big, Large, rather than small/little.

Now these are not the ONLY ones that have influenced my life, or encouraged my *walk* but for today, they are enough & much.
No they were not perfect anymore than any of us are yet... but pretty near. And they aimed at being Spirit Controlled and that gets you nearer & nearer. Yes *little* becomes *MUCH* when you are in the hands of God.

And these are just a couple of the "Big Men on My Campus!"  :-)
Dynamite in small packages with much love.

Oh that I could get to at least 1/2 as big.


Which always brings me to some time of examination & question... say there....
Who's contolling our thoughts, actions, lives in general?
What is the evidence of/in our lives?

Are we better Christians/people than we were last week?
Where do I get my help from?
What is our influence?

What will remain?
What is our legacy?
Will the Lord be pleased when we meet?

Where will we spend eternity?
   Oh that those who come behind us.. Find us as Faithful & true.   





No comments:

Post a Comment