Monday, February 4, 2013

The Old Guard

Had a wonderful evening at church last night.. Pastor talking about what a Christian leader looks like, is, does, etc.

So many wonderful people in my past that jumped up before me with his *points* in his sermon. Most hit them all and very well too. "I can only imagine" what it was like for them to meet Jesus in heaven and hear a resounding *Well Done!*

Good Leaders.. make a difference & others follow.
They have a "genuine, personal, sincere, real faith.
It is an active faith, a transforming faith as God takes us down different roads & changes us.
They have an Ethical lifestyle/behavior, integrity reigns. The life is above reproach.. not 'perfect' but no one can rightly criticize.They have credibility, live the life/walk the talk. Are honest!
They manage their family priorities well. Their household/& children. Again... not 'perfect' but all are committed to the Lord & his church.
They are committed to the church, as a whole, in worship, giving, ministry, protecting the unity of the body.
They have Vision/Direction. Growing.. in Spiritual things, their relationship with the Lord and a concern for the Lost & growing in numbers as others are born in.

My, here at FBC Griffith, a lot of the "Old Guard" have left, gone home to be with Jesus. AND.. this Dec. & Jan. we've had a lot more to go, and some are now battling tough diseases.
I just realized!!  I am a part of the "Old Guard."  It seems once you pass 65 and retire, that is you. lol But many of us have continued on... serving, and living life to the best we can.

Names of those that have jumped out at me that have gone on before me... Mom Gulley. Wow the stories I could write about her and her faith having spent much time with her thru the years. (Especially in her latter days) Some of my mentors,  I talk about them to this day, with examples of their lives and faith... REAL..Genuine..touching people for Jesus...Encouraging the body,  Oh that I do just a wee bit as well.
SOME STILL HERE.. Praise the Lord!
Others have Gone home... If you are a member here, you may have some of my list or a newer list, but each one of us reaches another at different times or needs in our lives. May it be good and not bad... mine are all good & have benefited me beyond what they will ever know.
Florence O'Rear~ Thurmon & Peggy Harris~ Cortland & Izetta Sparks~ Millie Brownd~ Dodie Price~Jim & Margurite Heard~ Wayne & Charlotte Hankla~ Floye Keelen~ Bill Roaden~ Henry Jones~ my list could go on for a long time. You see I've been an active sold out Christian since I joined this church in 1977, there is much that God has blessed me with, as I took each baby step.
   He put people in my life for "such a time" as this..
To tell me about Jesus.. to encourage me, to uphold me, to correct me, to help me find my way and place in the family of God. To Challenge me to "Step out into the water..just a little bit deeper."

Off to re-check the points on Pastor's message for myself again..


Now at 76, I am in the "Old Guard" ranks. I pray that when my time to go home comes, people can say of me.. she was "faithful" in all things, and Jesus will say.. "Well Done."
Truly..
"May those who come behind us, find us Faithful."

   "This is the day the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment