Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Loss.. what is loss? What do we mourn?



What a Tues. that was yesterday... Started out sunny and a great day with the crochet ladies. Hugs and Laughter abounded..
    Little did I know what was on the horizon. Tears were coming... but I had no idea how many.
   
    Back to my question.. what is loss...
There's the loss of a job, or a promotion, of a friendship, loss of our independence, and I'm sure you could list more..  We "mourn" these things, many will come back or be replaced.
   But other "losses" won't come back or be given to us again.
   We just learned on Tues. that dear cousin's cancer is back.. how much or how far it has gone we don't know yet. In this families track record with cancer you cringe greatly at that word. Hoping and Praying for a good report there.
   We also were told of a family member that took his own life at 17. Now that will really send you reeling!! I cannot imagine or fathom the hurt or mourning there.
   And then this morning I hear that my last remaining Uncle has passed away. We knew it was going to happen soon, but even so you hope for more time. Time to say I love you, or hear him call you by a nickname that only some on that side ever called you, something mom started.
   Yes the tears are flowing... not just mine, but those of Parents who have lost their child, brothers & sisters lost a beloved sibling, and many other family members..
Kids whose dad has gone.. and a cousin who's no doubt in fear at the moment of what is coming to her, and will there be the help like before??  Questions, Questions, Questions.. in all 3 situations.
   In the loss of people, health, independence, time, we mourn..we cry, we feel our hearts breaking for others, and for ourselves too. 
   And as we mourn, we mourn soooo many things I have found in my long years here... some mourning is for sure, and other mourning can be avoided.
   Those that die we mourn and weep with those that weep. A natural thing.. a part of life.
   But with all this happening I am finding that I have mourned other things/situations/relationships and that could have been avoided IF people would be kind, and forgive...and love us warts and all.. no one's perfect.. we just live this life doing the best we can with what we know at the time... 
    I've mourned the time wasted and lost, never to come again! hours, days, weeks, months, years... GONE! I can understand that when people have passed, but not when they are still alive and kicking somewhere.
    I've mourned friendships, family relationships, because someone is stubbornly holding on to something that in the scheme of eternity is sooo minor and petty.
    I've mourned the loss of fun & memory making with people that never include you in their lives anymore.
    I've mourned the loss of 'sharing' time, information, family history and the opportunity to just love someone.
    I've mourned pictures on a wall that are old, not updated, OR people are missing... just because.
It's as if they too have passed on and yet you know they haven't.
    I've mourned the hurts and broken hearts of others I love, that should have been healed by now.

    This one thing I can say is... I have not put off doing what I know I should do, nor have I held a grudge, and when the Holy Spirit moves me... I most generally say, "Yes Lord!" and git'er done.  No sorry's or wish I had done's for me if I can help it at all.
   Time is moving on and I am not guaranteed the next hour... no regrets for me in life or hopefully as I stand before my Lord in the day of accountability...

   Thank God for my Sunday School class... we have simplified a lot of things there. We ask, "how's that working for you?" and then "build a bridge and get over it" and then we "Jump!" ~ quit thinking about it and jump in and get it done, work on healing and loving again. Those of us that try, can only do so much, and that's all I'm accountable for. 
   I'm tired of mourning what the other fella has missed or lost out on because of their stubbornness, unkindness, rudeness, unforgiveness and how it's hurt me, etc...
   The all important things of life are doing the right thing when the people are here! AND as much as the ball is in my court to do the right thing, I shall! and live with clear mind and heart till Jesus calls me home to Himself.
   When once my mourning is over... I think I will just move on now to do what I can for those around me, for as long as I can, as best I can... there are millions waiting to be loved and encouraged... even by me.

  Lord help us as we go into these next few weeks/ months/ years... whatever you deem for us. Help us to learn from the trials and situations of life, how to live it better.  Comfort those that need comfort as only you can do.
    God bless us all... how hard it is to let go... of anything, or anyone.

1 comment:

  1. I wished I had read this when mom passed, your words can enencourage many,
    thank you Mary,

    ReplyDelete