I'm in a funk! Ever get in a funk?? Holidays do that for me, and have for years!
It stems back to my childhood, where holidays, and birthdays were messed up, by the alcohol my step-mother and dad partook of. Therefore in time you begin to DREAD the coming of any holiday.
In my older years I learned/understood they didn't do most of it deliberately/well not maliciously... they had their problems, but it is with me still. Isn't that odd? Not like it used to be, but still there.
They say whatever you put into these computers no matter what you 'erase,' or 'delete,' it is still there. And I firmly believe that holds true for the mind and heart. Even voices at a certain pitch would set me off. They would vividly bring back my angry dad. It carried over into my marriage & I dare say I was not the holiday bundle of joy with my own children. It took me years to put it altogether as to why I didn't look forward to holidays. Thank God, that he put me with a happy/fun man and his family! He took up where I was weak, and unable.
That being said.. there are times it still happens, and who knows what might set it off. I surely don't.
As I have gotten into the twilight years of life, Thanksgiving has become more and more of my favorite thing to do...
ThanksLiving.. Forgiving and dwelling on the good things in life & people helps to erase some things. Especially when you accentuate the positive, and eliminate the negative. :-) (There's a song there too.)
Even so it is work. I know daddy loved us the best he could, for he was a man hurting too. My how happy in later years we were. I had renewed my relationship with God and I think he had too. We were accepting and loving and spent time together those last couple of years before his passing. Tho I was sure we had more time... NOT. I am grateful for the times we shared the family stories and info and just plain interest in one another. When Dad Called now, yup I'm available... sooo different.
God CAN do great things. AND His Word surely helps us, to do the right things, the right way, and be blessed. The Good Memories surpass all the bad ones and I am ever so grateful to my Lord and Savior... I had "fun" working the Scripture on Dad...(another story for another day lol) Anyway I got a few more things I never had, and wanted, before it was tooo late. AND like the rest of the world always wishing for more... I've learned to dwell in the "contentment" of what we had, however brief, and the fact that "we worked it!"
God is Amazing and so good and helpful to His children, that I never cease to be amazed!!
May your holidays be bright and joy filled and if you need to, forgive and set things right, you will never be sorry.
As always, waiting in the wings, God is there to help, if you just ask.
Till next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment