Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Thinking AGAIN!" LOL

    I was reading a variety of posts on facebook, which set my mind to wandering/meandering? lol
    It involves the electronics age.  Now I am a 21st Century Grandma. I love e-mail, internet, facebook, and therefore I feel I can comment.  
    In fact some folks think I live in cyber space. Though I don't, cause my phone is a phone, and when I go somewhere my computer stays home. lol There have been times of month long vacations or more, and I did without and I'm still here. :-)  
    But when I hear people say that with NO phone, NO internet, NO cable they would go insane, or literally die, or just can not be without, I am amazed! Just literally amazed! What an idol we have set up. 
    It is mostly the younger generation, and at my age that is from 50's down.. and it begins to concern me.
   Our lives were so different, "back in the day." :-)
   We literally looked folks in the eye and talked. Now even when they are "with you" they are NOT.  And to me, that is rude. There is nothing of much substance that is "texted" etc. that I can see. Couldn't that wait a couple of hours so that we could have a real conversation?
    We used to make 'voice' phone calls, to hear a live voice and the inflections or tones of that voice could tell you a lot. OR we made a visit to someone's home to hug, to 'talk'..to listen, to share.  
    How long has it been since you've had someone's undivided attention?
    How long has it been since you've really talked and been brought up to date on your lives, loves, interests?  I'll bet (if I was a betting woman) that most of us haven't a clue about what is really going on in the lives of those we claim to love. Do we even KNOW HOW to "talk" with people anymore? To carry on a conversation longer than in brief misspelled words. Can we even write a letter anymore?
    These phones go off everywhere! In homes, cars, stores, restaurants, hospitals, and even churches. People have them on ring or vibrate, so they're not going to miss anyone's call or text. Give me a break! Can't we check them at the door? Turn them off? Especially in church?  If someone is calling then, THEY must not be in church, what a testimony we could have about focusing on and worshiping our Lord. And if they are in church too, for shame!
   
    My personal opinion is that the only people who might be exempt from my thoughts of NO phones/texting ever in the company of others...in church.. or worse yet while driving, "might be the pastors and doctors," and even they might be "hooked" on these things too. I do hope not.
    Yes if I was in need of my Doctor or Pastor I would surely want to get thru to them... BUT on the other hand....
    How many years did we survive and make it the OLD WAY?
    I make a motion! "Let's go back to checking our phones at the door of our churches, and when on a visit." AND Especially while driving.
    We might have some withdrawal's but it won't kill us..it might make us stronger, and we might learn how to converse again, in the long run what a blessing that will be, for everyone. Touching heart to heart, and safety on the roads.. And I'd guess that I am not the only one who feels this way. 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment